And from the ashes the Phoenix shall rise.....

This blog will contain stories, thoughts, poems, rants and anything else I have on my mind. It is not intended for who take themself or life too seriously. I hope you enjoy my writings. Peace.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

She's My Favorite Girl

I'll always love my mama
She's my favorite girl
I'll always love my mama
She brought me in this world...
(Talking 'bout mama)Oh, she's one of a kind
(Talking 'bout mama)You got yours, and I got mine
(Talking 'bout mama)Ah, Hey mamaHey mamaMy heart belongs to you
Oh, yeah
(1973 by the Intruders)

I love my mom but she can really work a nerve. This year for lent my mom decides she is going to try to give up/cut back/stop smoking.
Sidebar: she has been smoking since she was 14.
To help her with this process, she challenges me to loose this 10 pounds I've been trying to get off forever. I'm like cool, okay let's do it. Mind you I would have agreed to loose 50 pounds in 40 days if it meant she would quit smoking. I was a bit surprised by her request but happy that finally she has decided to try to stop. I've been trying since I can remember to get her to quit, but she kept puffing away until now.

Well as you know we are now several days away from Easter and the deadline for both of us. Now I know for sure my mom hasn't completely stopped smoking. She has cut back, she is down to about 2 cigarettes a day. I guess that's good. She claims it is huge for her. Okay I 'll give her that. I'm down a good solid 6 pounds. That's pretty good - all the "experts" say you should lose more than 1-2 pounds a week for healthy weight loss. So really I'm right on target and feeling pretty happy with myself. I thought about using some of those weight loss supplement but decided against it. I put the weight on the old fashion way - I'm gonna lose it the old fashion way. LOL.

But back to my moms. Today we are talking on the phone as we always do (about nothing important). She brings me up to speed on my sorry ass family. Yeah Royce's Daughter, I got some too.
When she says to me, "so how's your diet coming along?"

Me, "Good, I lost 6 pounds."
I'm all happy about myself, smiling, dancing around my kitchen and issh.

Mom, "That's it? What about the other four?"
DAMN, I'm thinking to myself. Can a sista, your child, get a little respect?

Me, "Well don't you think that me loosing 6 is better than nothing?"

Mom, "Easter is this Sunday, how are you going to lose the other four."

Me, " Well thanks for the words of encouragement. You sure didn't even focus on the positive that I lost 6. All you focused on was me needing to lose four more. So you still smoking aren't you?"

Mom, "Yup, but it's not Sunday."
Damn her and smart mouth. I can't stand her sometimes.

Me, "Oh okay, umm hmm."

Now I'm pissed. She doesn't even see that she was dead wrong in her approach to be encouraging. For real my mom is the worst saboteur when it came to doing this. She would call me and say things like, "oh I made spaghetti (or some other food that I like), I packed some up for you to come and get on your way home from work." Now I told her do not offer me any goodies cause I'm being good with what I'm eating. She'd ignore me. The worst was one Sunday I went over her house after church (she lives right next door to our church - a sin), she has this big ole casserole dish of macaroni and cheese. My weakness (even thought mine tastes better than hers, hers is still pretty darn good!).
I say to her, "now you know I can't have none of that."

Mom, "Oh I'm sorry, I forgot."

Now she knows damn well she didn't forget.

Me, "Yeah I've been pretty good this week. I don't want to mess it up with eating mac and cheese."

Mom, "well you can have a little taste can't you?"

What kind of hell question is that? No I can't have just a little taste damn it. I'm on this diet to try and lose some weight and help you quit smoking and this is what I get.

Me, "no I can't have a little taste. What is a tablespoonful gonna do except make me want some more."

She is completely ignoring me by this point. She is in the kitchen getting out her tupperware and spooning mac and cheese in a bowl. I can't believe my frikin eyes. I don't know why I'm surprised, she has done this before, when I was trying to lose the same 10 pounds after a breakup I had (but that is another story for another day). She tried to make me feel better by feeding me all my favorite foods.
sidebar: I took home the mac and cheese and ate as my dinner. I tried to be strong but it was callin me, callin me "Phoenix, Phoenix". LOL

Oh but back to today. She tried to clean up her statement by saying, "oh you know what I meant. Your 6 will become 10 and you will feel better when you start to see results." Now did she even ask me have I seen results - no. But I have. She is a mess. Sometimes I wonder about her. She can be so well intending but say some harsh issh. I think it's only to me. My sister never tells me that my mom says stuff to her like she says to me. Damn that is f-up. Thank God I'm not thin skinned. I would be messed up in the head by my own momma. I ended the conversations by telling her I love her but I had to go. She was wreaking my mood.

Lesson of this story: don't take bets with your mom, even if it is to help her out.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Little Brown Girl said…

    Awwwwww I love your Mom so much...oops sorry I know that ain't what you tryna hear. She know she wrong girl *hmpf* LOL!!

    Seriously I am proud of both of you for working together (kinda) to achieve some goals. You gone lose all the weight you want to and Moms is going to stop smoking or we gone start hiding her cigerettes LOL!! My Moms is the same way (both of them)...don't get discouraged that's just the way they are built.

    *Dayum I wish I coulda got some of that Mac and Cheese*

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger MrsNotYourMomma said…

    Aw. I know your frustration, except mine is towards my dad. Hang in there anyhow. Congratulations on the 6 pounds! (And psst. If I buy you the ingredients for some mac and cheese, can you make a pan for me?)

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @roycee - whell when she starts acting up, I'll send down to you.

    @ Roycee & Leslie - I'm cooking this Friday, come on up.

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Big Trev said…

    I live alone so definitely feel free to pass along that mac & cheese:-)

    But congratulations babe for losing the 6lbs, contrary to mom, thats huge...

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ Trev: thanks. I'm not a big girl but all women struggle with there weight at some point. Moms is making mac and cheese this Sunday, and you know I'm having some.... LOL

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Big Trev said…

    Don't tempt me, LOL...I grew up in Westchester ya' know and could track you and moms down real quick:-) If I got nowhere to go Sunday I'm tracking you and "mom" down for a nice dish, LOL.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ Trev: mmm mmm I can smell the mac and cheese already. lol. Don't tell me your the stalker type LOL.

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger divine oasis said…

    i'm sure your mom means no harm. it's great of you to inspire her to not smoke. my mom smokes and i wish she would stop. there are definitely cooler ways to die.

    as far as your weight loss. no pressure. take it easy. i'm sure your body is perfect the way it is. you're not 900 lbs, are you? lol

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ divine oasis: Nah I'm your average size american woman and getting smaller as the weeks go by. I think my mom is getting the hint about the smoking.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home