And from the ashes the Phoenix shall rise.....

This blog will contain stories, thoughts, poems, rants and anything else I have on my mind. It is not intended for who take themself or life too seriously. I hope you enjoy my writings. Peace.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Dreams Deferred

Harlem (by Langston Hughes)

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore -
And then run?
Does it stink like a rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over-
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

I was at the movies today watching my second movie ( If I pay to go to the movies I usually walk in and see a second one- movies are too damn expensive to only be seeing one these days.) I didn't plan out the time right to see the 2nd movie I really wanted to see, so I sat in on what I knew was going to be a wack movie - Step It Up or whatever the name of it is. Anyway as I was sitting there watching, I had plenty of time to think about a whole lot of stuff. One thing being sparked by the movie - do you have dreams and if so do you go for them?

Well me being the person that I am (or would like to think I am) started to really ponder this question in my mind. And this is what I came up with. Sadly I think we all start out with plenty of dreams, some attainable some not. For me, I know as a child I had so many dreams of what life would be like for me. Some of the dreams, of course, were your everyday lotto dreams like: if I had all the money in the world what would I do.... And some of the other dreams I had were in the category of what are you really gonna do with your life.

Some of my dreams were crushed by society, other people and just maturing. While others were dashed by me. I don't really need to give specifics as to what the dreams were, but the fact that I let them "dry up" like in the poem makes me sad now. Yeah I know some would say "never give up on your dreams." But fo-real, reality is a mutha and will slap you in the ass when you aren't looking. Also life starts to come into play - responsibilities: bills, rent, eating, how are you gonna pay your bills, etc. So you get a job to pay the bills and put food on the table and a roof over your head and before you know it you look up and it's too late to change careers now cause you make a "little" bit of money and if you leave your current job you know the new job if you can get one (in the "dream" field of your desires) will not start you out making the same money you left......

So sitting in the movie I begin to cry - not cause the movie is so moving, but because I realize that I've let my old dreams "dry up" and I haven't any new ones that are worth anything to go chase. This has been my "heavy load" for a while now and I can't seem to shake it. Don't get me wrong my life as it is now is not bad, but it could always be better. I do remain hopeful that one day again (hopefully soon) I will again dream and begin to chase those dreams.

Thanks for checking in. PEACE!

11 Comments:

  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Organized Noise said…

    I too have dreams. I have a dream that one day, little black boys and little black girls . . . wait, that wasn't my dream . . . I do have dreams though. Some of which I'm slowly, but surely trying to achieve, and others, which are nothing more than simple fantasies. I can't say that any of my dreams have been crushed at this point in my life, but the longer I take to start making them realities, the more difficult it might be. I need to get started. Thanks for the motivation. . .

    BTW . . . Look who's first

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    Congrats on being first! Well I'm glad I can motivate somebody (wish it were myself) :-)

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Knockout Zed said…

    For some reason, they call that ability to quietly let those dreams dry up "maturity". I don't buy it though. Keep chasin'!

    KZ

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger Mr.Slish said…

    I know the feeling..There are so many things I know I can do well if I tried. But my fear of failng causes me to not to try.. I HATE THAT ABOUT ME.. I should have opened a rest/lounge 7 years ago...Shit I'v been close a few times but I let fear get the best of and let that dream dry up...After readin this ..It ain't gonna happen this year. I will open my rest, I will push out at least one book, I will get married and have some kids, And I will encourage my friend Phoenix not to give up on any of her future dreams

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ Zed - will try to keep chasin.

    @ slish - thanks for the encouragement. We need to talk about the rest....

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ RMack - yeah I had the dream of acting when I was younger and I also wanted to work for the NFL or NBA or professional sports. I got close to the sports thing - I work for the Mid American Conference (college sports). Well as for going back to my dreams of my youth - well I don't know about that - too scarey.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said…

    well in a way i'm living my dream and in a way i've let some dry.

    i always wanted to work in television. i think cuz i couldn't really watch it growing up, and for the past ten years that i've done.

    however it's about all i've done and i still wanna family and a man to call my own and real corny shit like someone to hold my hand in the movies, but i've been soo career obsessed that i've been unbalanced!

    dreams keep us afloat, and sometimes keep us alive.

    never stop dreaming or believing. it's corny, but hell i'm corny too dammit!

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ Miss Ahmad - I will try to renew some of my dreams.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said…

    I think the worst thing...is to never have any dreams.
    That would be me.
    I have thoughts about this and that...but nothing moves me to the point of makign those thougths reality.
    ...I'm just here...just living...and although I am having fun in being me...am I really?
    It's all rather complex... but bottom line is that nothing drives me...nothing moves me...I have no dreams. Not before, not now...so will I ever?

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ Blah - I hear you I kinda feel the same way. I'm not passionate about things like I feel I should be. Oh well C'est La Vie.

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ Iron - don't give up on your dreams or I'm gonna have to start a "No Dreamer Club"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home