And from the ashes the Phoenix shall rise.....

This blog will contain stories, thoughts, poems, rants and anything else I have on my mind. It is not intended for who take themself or life too seriously. I hope you enjoy my writings. Peace.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Here I Am

I haven't hit yall with a poem in awhile. Here is one of my favorites. It was written back in 1999.


HERE I AM

What’s that you say
You don’t know me
Don’t recognize me
Shh – it’s more like you just ignore me
I’ve been here all along
Biding time – Waiting
You heard me – waiting
Umm hmm, I’m tired
Sick and tired of wanting you to acknowledge me
Me and all that I am, was and ever will be
You have tried to strip me of everything possible
Education, goods, services and even a good man
But you know what?
There are two things you can’t take from me
No matter how hard you try
You can’t take them
My powerful voice and my beautiful brown skin
That’s right
You try to make these my liabilities
But they are my greatest assets
I know you admire my dark skin that I am in
Why else would you bake out in the sun for hours
You envy the intelligent and poetic words that flow from my full lips
So you continue to leave me out of my rightful place in society
Don’t get this sista started
I have had plenty of time to hone my skills to perfection
No longer am I willing to be pushed aside
I am taking charge of my future, my education, producing goods and services that I can be proud of
And no longer will I allow you to pit me against my man
I don’t think you heard me
Let me say it again a little bit louder
NO LONGER WIILL I ALLOW YOU TO PIT ME AGAINST MY MAN, MY GOOD MAN
My time is now
I will not be denied
You may try all you like
But you will not succeed
I won’t let you
My voice is too loud
my brown skin too radiant
So what’s that you say?

2 Comments:

  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Mr.Slish said…

    White girl steal post man from you...lol

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ Slish - the Postman needs a white girl withhis freeky ass.

    @ the Freelancer - I love you piece. thanks for visiting - come back now you hear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home