And from the ashes the Phoenix shall rise.....

This blog will contain stories, thoughts, poems, rants and anything else I have on my mind. It is not intended for who take themself or life too seriously. I hope you enjoy my writings. Peace.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

For Royce's Daughter

From the Beginning


Although it didn’t always seem like it, I loved you from the beginning. Remember when we were kids, you use to pull my braids and tease me and I’d cry. Then you would start to cry when I ran out ran you. It seemed I hated you but I loved you.

Then we grew a bit older. The other boys called you a sissy because you played with me. I hated them for teasing you. Then you began to play with them, leaving me to watch from the top porch step. I hated you for that you were my best friend.

Before you knew it, we were teens. You stopped being just the boy next door, but the cute boy next door. I loved you even though you voice was cracking. It sounded perfect to me. I thought you felt the same way, but it seemed that Yolanda from math class won your affections.

Yeah – high school I dated a few guys and you never once appeared to be jealous. We even went on a double date. When I tried my best to flirt with you, you laughed at me. I hated you because my love for you seemed undying.

Finally I thought I could get over you when we went to college. You got a football scholarship to UNC and I went to Howard. The distance wasn’t enough. Memories and old pictures kept you ever so close. I wished for the opportunity to tell you I loved you so many times.

The chance I waited for finally cane one summer break. You came over to talk about college. I was prepared to interrupt you. When I tried, you told me it was rude to interrupt someone. Especially when they are trying to tell the other person they’ve always loved them. Remember you then kissed me and walked out the house. I tried to call you back but I could hardly breath. I thought I’d tell you later how I felt, but later never came. You were murdered that evening in a cross fire between some kids as you came out of the store. So if you are listening and I know you are – I always loved you from the beginning.

11 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger Organized Noise said…

    So this is how its gonna be this week? All these sad, tear provoking love stories? I am jealous. I don't have a first love like that. No first love story or anything like that. All I can say, is its better to have loved and lost, then to never love at all.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow this is beautiful! I feel like a big baby this week...all this crying I'm doing.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    Hey everyone, thanks for checking in. for clarification - this post is a piece that I wrote some years back. It is fiction based on fact. So please don't cry.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Little Brown Girl said…

    Hey...I saw you posted this but wanted to read when I got home and comfortable cause I knew it'd make my heart bleed.

    I know it's fiction but then again it's fact...for me at least. Everytime I read about a love lost only to death it breaks me. Because a love lost to growth...a love that dies because two are no longer there is different from a love that is cut short in it's prime.

    This story moved me...because for me...I've always loved from the beginning. Even loving someone now (perhaps not in the same way as Smitty but a love nevertheless) was in my opinion a love at first sight. He had me at "Hello" and yet I find myself still in this space. Missing one and longing for the other

    Thanks for this is 101 ways it has moved me!!!

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger sunshine said…

    That was not the ending I was expecting..What a shame.

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ RD - you are more than welcome. Girl you are strong, you'll find another "real" love.

    @ tjeanise - sorry to disappoint.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said…

    WoW...

    A lost love... I can't imagine.

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ blah - hey girl thanks for stopping by.

    @ Iron - love is something.

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said…

    see now i'm just mad because i know i wrote a comment and blogger ate it dammit!

    well i never lost a love, but there was a boy that i really liked in high school. he was beautiful. i won't mention his name as respect for the deceased but he went to BBB's high school, and one summer we had this thing....

    my neighbor's dad was on tour or something and she had the house to herself for what felt like all summer long and me and this pretty brown skin boy had the most innocently intiate time, just making out and getting to know eachother.

    He was shot in the head, supposedly by his girlfriend before he graduated high school. his deep brown eyes still haunt me!

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger a.Marie said…

    This was really sweet.

    One!

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    @ A. Marie - thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home